This Could be Better Than Jquery Mobile For Blackberry Webworks App Development

So after my memory and performance woes with Jquery mobile on BB5 phones, I humbly decided to find a lightweight alternative CSS framework.

It happens that most of these frameworks come integrated with Javascript and the performance issues stem from the transitions and CSS 3 selectors.

Recently, I stumbled on iUI which was built for the iOS devices. Eager to test it out on the BB5 device, I loaded one of the sample pages on my device and then I realised it wasn’t even loading.

Back to Google, I found this thread about how to support BB5 using iUI. If there was a similar thread for Jquery Mobile I just might never have realised there was iUI.

We do support Blackberry OS6, 7 & Playbook (aka coming BB X), since they have a webkit based browser. Since OS6 doesn’ have hardware acceleration, it is a bit slow to perform transitions btw…

We might have to clarify that.

if you want to support OS5, you have to:

– replace the querySelector part

– forget about all css3 definitions / styles

– use JS transitions (aka slide1, you’ll understand when you’ll get to this point)

– test on the device

– submit your working solution to a clone on Git so we can integrate that to iUI 🙂

i honnestly wish you good luck! if you have some JS skills, then it might not be too long/complicated. if not, contact any JS freelancer, shouldn’t be more than 2 days’ job.

in Google Groups.

Advertisements

How Not To Debug A JQuery Mobile App

Here I was thinking I had got a good grasp of JQuery Mobile enough to go ahead and integrate it with CakePHP.

I admit it was a fun thing to see a desktop version automatically scale into a mobile version with only a few lines of code from my previous post.

My mobile development had taken a bold leap forward in terms I couldn’t be less than happy for.

So after getting my hands and head wrapped up around the structure of JQuery mobile, I felt I was in the “common yeah, let’s do this” moment – speaking in the Tony Robins tone here :)…

I loaded up the site in my mobile emulator and straight up it was looking sharp and tidy :).

But then I wanted to be sure it was alright so I loaded in my Samsung Galaxy phone. Okay it still was looking cool and I was about super excited about this.

Finally, I remembered my old Blackberry phone exists. And knowing that most young people around here have the older Blackberry OS5 phones, I decided to give it a shot.

The result was nerve-rending. My wonderful new mobile site loaded alright. Yes, up to only the preloader gif image!

I tweaked headers and disabled all custom scripts. Once it would work and at another try it would just hang up at the preloader.gif image.

 

After almost 6 combined hours of nerve-wrecking pondering, hair-pulling, and knocking my head against the wall I finally decided to try offloading some content from the page.

I removed a bit of this and a bit of that. Each time uploading the new changes, and refreshing my Blackberry phone’s browser. (Yes, I was a bit too lazy to set up a local DNS server that would allow me access my local site from my Blackberry phone…)

Finally, I found it. A simple search form. Eureka!

After removing the form and returning I discovered that without the form the site loaded up pretty good.

To cut the chase, I reduced the size of the form and transferred it to another page. The original form still won’t load properly so I’m yet to find out what part of that form is responsible for giving JQuery mobile  such terrible hiccups.